Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One person's gaming journey, one month at a time. BLOG ENTRIES ARE NOT TO BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION

Google

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Commodore Revival

This is news which will send some of the older gamers (that means they are more distinguished) in to a bit of a spin. It has been announced that a new range of Commodore gaming PCs will be launched at CeBIT 2007. The brand labelled as Commodore Gaming is set to bring the name Commodore back to gaming PCs.

CeBIT is a computer and technology fair which is held in Germany. It is said to be the world's largest and an ideal place inwhich to relaunch Commodore.

This news is being widely reported on the interweb, yet I can't seem to locate an press release for it to verify the news. I still wonder if this is another wonderful interweb hoax. What will be of this new brand? The Commodore 64 is the worlds largest selling personal computer. It is a label which will be difficult to break. The Commodore brand was traditionally about bringing good quality low cost computers in to the home. This is not something which you believe would be possible with current cost of gaming machines. If you go to the Alienware (that company owned by Dell - they kept that on the hush hush) you can spend over $10,000 (AUS) on an extremely high end gaming PC. This doesn't seem to be Commodore's traditional market. Furthermore, they were responsible for bring the computer in to the home. Times have changed a great deal since then. This industry has grown up. At that time the home PC market was in its infancy. I don't believe that a brand can survive on sentimental reasons alone. I definitely won't be spending my hard earned on a Commodore Gaming PC just because it was the first PC I had when I was a kid. I can build my own PC now, something which I couldn't do then, and save a bucket load of dollars in doing it too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home