Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One person's gaming journey, one month at a time. BLOG ENTRIES ARE NOT TO BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION

Google

Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Xbox 360 Eulogy

My Xbox 360 (as pictured) passed away quietly in its sleep last night. Unfortunately, even though my console was only 1 year and 11 months old (man. date 31/8/2006) it was still unnamed. I feel disappointed that while we spent a lot of quality time together that my console had to depart without having ever been named.

I was fortunate enough to have spent some quality time with the console during that short period of time we had. We have completed together Gears of War, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Rainbow Six Vegas, Vegas 2, Crackdown, and Saints Row just to name a couple of the games. I was looking forward to spending more time with the console in the future waiting for the release of Far Cry 2 and Gears of War 2.

I feel disappointed that Microsoft created this product in such a way that it was destined not to live a long life. To be able to live beyond 2 years and to experience all the riches that new release games have to offer. Surely, we all deserve the right to a long life (except of course if you live in the third world and then you are destined to serve the West as some form of slave labour ... and yet we still do not understand why it is that you hate us).

So, it is that my life as a consumer is defined by the things that I buy and not by the human relationships that I can manufacture. That those things which are mine say more about who I am than I can possibly say with words or independant thought. The fact of the matter is that, as a consumer, I am unable to create independent thought that is anything more than the rewording of a slogan or jingle.

What do I do now? How can I possibly structure activities to fill my spare time without my Xbox 360 console. I am unable to create the desire to walk outside, to change the channel, or structure thought for myself. I rely on the imposed structure of my time that the products which I own provide. Without them I am nothing.

RIP my Xbox 360 console. Much loved. Greatly missed.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    truly, a eulogy to be remembered.
    with sympathy,
    turtle lover taddy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home