Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One person's gaming journey, one month at a time. BLOG ENTRIES ARE NOT TO BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION

Google

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

C&C3 Tiberium Wars: Initial Impressions

I would never have said that the Command & Conquer franchise revolutionized the Real Time Strategy genre. I would say that it popularized it. Most of the concepts which the original Command & Conquer had integrated were already floating around in a popular little RTS at the time called Dune. So, why should I not be surprised that the new C&C really offers nothing new?

I have been playing the demo for a couple of hours and I can't say that it has picked me up and shaken me about. I would have to say that RTS games are some of my least favourite game types and, unfortunately it takes a pretty special RTS game to capture my gaming time. The last RTS I spent some time playing was Company of Heroes and I thoroughly enjoyed it. While it was a typical RTS it was well polished and extremely playable. I have had a look at Supreme Commander and am extremely impressed with some of the innovative features in it but I have not spent a lot of time playing it.

Why is C&C3 so drab? Why is it so boring? It feels exactly like the old version. Sequels should have the same feel as the previous generations of game, however, shouldn't they also add something to the franchise. Shouldn't they take it a step in the next direction forward? Shouldn't it incorporate new concepts and ideas so that the franchise doesn't stagnate?

This is what C&C is to me. A stagnant franchise. A game series that EA have not wanted to take any risks with. So it is very much the same old same old. It is like every other EA game that is churned out every 12 months with just a different year placed in the title. Even the cut scenes are crap. Michael Ironside and that sexy chick from Battlestar Galactica put across wooden performances that make you want to press the 'Esc key' as quickly as possible so that you don't have to suffer the torment of their poor performance.

Oh, and the gameplay itself? It is the same old same old. There have been some modifications to the display and some streamlining of the development structure with the use of TABs, however, it is pretty much the same.

If you wanted an RTS to play which may be somewhat challenging and offers some innovative features then buy Supreme Commander. If you want a polished RTS which offers the same but done extremely well then pick up Company of Heroes. If you are a C&C fan boy who is willing to overlook the gameplay just for the sake of the name then buy C&C3.

I'll be uninstalling the excessively large demo now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home